FAQ and Style Tips
1. Do you sell Hat Boxes?
Yes! We sell 3 sizes to fit comfortably a small fascinator or hat, an average sized brim hat, to an x-large Derby hat with a depth of 9" to accommodate large embellishments. Each one comes with a cord for easy carrying.
- Large - 22"L x 22"W x 9"H
- Medium - 7"L x 17"W x 9"H
- Small - 12"L x 12"W x 9"H
2. How do you ship hats?
Our shipping policy is as follows:
Due to the size and fragility of the hats, we take extra caution when shipping your one-of-a-kind pieces. Therefore, the shipping charge is higher outside of the Louisville area. Free in-store pick-up is available and we offer in-store pick up for any piece purchased. The pieces can be picked up at Mamili 826 E. Main Street, or at Mad Hatter 502, 826 E. Main Street, Suite 102, Louisville, KY 40206. Both are in the NuLu Marketplace in downtown Louisville. Please call 502-384-4450 for inquiries on shipping.
- Mad Hatter 502 ships via UPS Ground. The shipping costs are as followed:
- $150 for big hats, fascinators, and crowns
- Free in-store pick up at 826 E. Main St., Suite 102, Louisville, KY 40206
3. Can you customize pieces on your site in different colors?
Yes, if we have the materials in the colors you are needing, we can add materials to most of our pieces for you. There will be a minimum fee starting at $50 to add to any existing piece in addition to the cost of the materials being added. Please send the name of the hat or fascinator along with a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 502-384-4450 to discuss.
4. Can you customize a hat I already own?
Customizations can be made only to hats made and purchased at Mad Hatter 502.
5. Can I bring my dress into Mad Hatter 502 to find a matching hat, fascinator, or crown?
Yes! Our retail location is now OPEN. Visit us behind Mamili, at 826 E. Main St., Suite 102, Louisville, KY 40206, in the NuLu Marketplace in downtown Louisville.
If you don’t already have your perfect outfit picked out, stop by our sister store Mamili in Nulu Marketplace and explore our beautiful dresses, jumpsuits, accessories, and more and they carry men’s shirts, belts, ties, pocket squares & fedoras, in addition to merchandise.
6. How far in advance do I need to place a customer order?
We will need about 7-10 days to create your custom order. We will not be able to accept custom orders placed after April 19th.
7. What is the best method to contact you?
Call us at 502-384-4450 or email email@example.com
8. Are Mad Hatter 502 store hours the same as Mamili’s?
No, store hours coming soon for 2024 Derby Season.
9. Where can I find you on social media?
Follow us for Derby style tips and more at @madhatter502 on Facebook and Instagram. You can also check out some of our pieces at @mamili502. Facebook and Instagram. We love seeing our customers tag us wearing their Mad Hatter 502 pieces!
10. What is the difference between Mamili and Mad Hatter 502?
Mamili is a clothing, accessories and home accessory boutique located in the Nulu Marketplace.
Mad Hatter is seasonal Derby hat boutique selling custom hats and fascinators designed by Melissa Huff, one of the 2023 official milliners of the Kentucky Derby Museum.
11. How should I wear my fascinator?
Typically, we would recommend it leaning to the side you part your hair.
If you part your hair on the left, you wear the fascinator to the left side. We encourage you to style your fascinator however you feel is best! Also, your hairline should no show underneath the hat or fascinator. Based on the design of the fascinators, it may already lean to the right or the left.
12. Can I switch my fascinator elastic band for a headband?
Please contact us by phone or email and if possible, we will be happy to work with you to make adjustments to our fascinator purchased at Mad Hatter 502.
13. What is a crown?
Crowns are headbands decorated with various materials.
14. What is the return policy for Mad Hatter 502?
All Mad Hatter 502 Derby hats, fascinators, and crowns are FINAL SALES AND NON-RETURNABLE.
15. How can I adjust the size of a hat?
Some hats are equipped with an ribbon straps that can be adjusted to add security and comfort when wearing. In cases where there is not a strap that can be tightened, we will be happy to accommodate by inserting a comfortable foam piece.
Rest assured we not only want you to look your best, but also be comfortable!
16. How do I place a custom order?
We offer customizations of any piece in our current inventory, if we have the materials you need for that head piece. Custom order fees start at $100 and are non-refundable and a non-refundable fee of ½ down on the hat, fascinator or crow and materials is also required.
We offer custom hats based on styles in our current inventory.
- Take a screenshot of the headpiece including the name of the hat or fascinator.
- Describe the custom color combination you wish to incorporate. Please include a picture of your outfit if available. Please note that based on the photo we will do our best to match the colors you are needing, but may not be able to match the exact colors.
- Send information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 502-384-4450.
We will reach out within 2 days to confirm material and color availability. Lead time to create or customize your piece will take up to 7-10 days.
- Can I use Mamili discounts at Mad Hatter 502?
Discounts offered at Mamili CANNOT be used at Mad Hatter 502. We appreciate your understanding!